Skip to main content

3D Modelling - Lightsabre Hilt



So today we were tasked with three tasks one of these three was to model something whether it be for your game or something for you VFX or  just something from your head. So my idea was to model a lightsabre hilt from scratch with no insights or anything to base it on this was completely from my head into 3ds max. This could've been very bad as because I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like but whether it would turn out like that would be another question. So far I have just finished modelling the hilt and I like the way it has turned out, the shape is very simplistic but I believe once it is textured it will make it look even more better.

So the next part of this process that I needed to do is UV unwrap it and at first it looked really bad but I managed to get the UV sorted and looking pretty nice. 

It looks a bit weird but when I am texturing this it will be simple because I will have 3ds max open so I know which part needs to be a certain texture.

More updates on this is coming for when I have textured this.

So far I like the way the model has come out and that I managed to get my ideas worked out and looking pretty nice and I can't wait to get it texture and see what it looks like. I do have one idea but I will need to see if it is possible and that would be to have a crystal in the middle of the hilt  supported by the inside of the hilt but I might incorporate something like that into a different model as I have an idea for another hilt.



This is my lightsabre hilt fully textured and looking very nice if I do say so myself. The texture is more of a rusted look as I made it to be more like a forgotten relic that has been buried for such a long time. I may still do a more polished version like it had just been made including a crystal in the middle of it if it is possible.

Now that is textured it looks a lot better than just the model and I like it so much more now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sculpting a Character in Mudbox

So today I have been using Mudbox to sculpt a character. The character itself is a turtle with its shell on. So to start off I decided to work on his skin first and within this I was using two main tools the first being the imprint tool and the second being the smooth tool. I started off with a stamp that comes with Mudbox and I would just stamp the area I needed to give it a bumpy area on the skin. I would then smooth off the more harsh areas so it doesn't have any major jagged lines on it. After doing this for a while I started to notice that it was giving off quite a stone texture to the skin which I started to like after a while. However when it came to the feet I changed it up a little as I smoothed the toes a lot more than the other parts of the body which makes them stand out more and when it comes to texturing this guy I can add more detail to it by changing some of the colours around. Next I started on sculpting on the shell which I made look very unique as I made some v...

Model [Doomhammer Model]

So today we decided to do some more 3d modeling. The models could be of anything we like of any genre so I decided that because I have played World of Warcraft in the past and it is a game I enjoy I decided to model one of the weapons in the game. The weapon i chose was Doomhammer which happens to be very nice model and has some nice detail in the model. The picture I chose to help: As you can tell the model looks quite difficult however a lot of the detail in the model can just be done with texturing the only part I could worry about or just not have on the model is the cloth above the hilt that sticks out but we shall see what happens when it comes to me texturing the model. My model so far: The shape of my model is looking very similar to what the original looks like and I am enjoying making the model as this is definitely developing my skills in 3ds max as well as texturing. I will be updating this post with every time the model is updated.

Bump, Normal & Displacement Mapping

Bump Maps A Bump map is an older type of map that create fake detail by giving an illusion of depth on the surface of a model using a very simple lighting trick. You don't get any additional resolution added to a model as a result of bump mapping. Bump maps are typically greyscale images that are limited to 8-bits of colour information. This tells the 3D software whether it is up or down. Bump maps are great for creating tiny details on a model such as wrinkles on skin and because the detail they create is fake the silhouette of the geometry that the bump map is applied to will always be unaffected by the map. Normal Maps Normal maps can be referred to as a newer better type of bump map, as with bump maps what you need to know is that the detail they create is fake and there is no additional resolution added to the geometry. A normal map creates the illusion of depth detail on the surface like a bump map however it does it differently. A normal map uses RGB information that ...