Skip to main content

Bump, Normal & Displacement Mapping

Bump Maps

A Bump map is an older type of map that create fake detail by giving an illusion of depth on the surface of a model using a very simple lighting trick. You don't get any additional resolution added to a model as a result of bump mapping. Bump maps are typically greyscale images that are limited to 8-bits of colour information. This tells the 3D software whether it is up or down. Bump maps are great for creating tiny details on a model such as wrinkles on skin and because the detail they create is fake the silhouette of the geometry that the bump map is applied to will always be unaffected by the map.
image01

Normal Maps

Normal maps can be referred to as a newer better type of bump map, as with bump maps what you need to know is that the detail they create is fake and there is no additional resolution added to the geometry. A normal map creates the illusion of depth detail on the surface like a bump map however it does it differently. A normal map uses RGB information that corresponds directly with the X,Y & Z axis in 3D space. The RGB information tells the 3D application the exact direction of the surface normals are oriented in for each and every polygon. The orientation of the surface normals often are just referred to as normals will tell the 3D application how the polygon should be shaded.
normal maps

Displacement Maps

When it comes to creating additional detail for low-resolution meshes displacement maps are the best for this. These types of maps physically displace the mesh to which they are applied to. In order for detail to be created based on a displacement map, usually the mesh must be subdivided or tessellated so real geometry is created. Displacement maps can be either baked from a high resolution or painted by hand and like a bump map a displacement map consists of greyscale values. Just like bump maps they can be used as a 8-bit displacement map however for 3D objects it will look better by using a 16-bit or 32-bit displacement map.

image03

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sculpting a Character in Mudbox

So today I have been using Mudbox to sculpt a character. The character itself is a turtle with its shell on. So to start off I decided to work on his skin first and within this I was using two main tools the first being the imprint tool and the second being the smooth tool. I started off with a stamp that comes with Mudbox and I would just stamp the area I needed to give it a bumpy area on the skin. I would then smooth off the more harsh areas so it doesn't have any major jagged lines on it. After doing this for a while I started to notice that it was giving off quite a stone texture to the skin which I started to like after a while. However when it came to the feet I changed it up a little as I smoothed the toes a lot more than the other parts of the body which makes them stand out more and when it comes to texturing this guy I can add more detail to it by changing some of the colours around. Next I started on sculpting on the shell which I made look very unique as I made some v...

Model [Doomhammer Model]

So today we decided to do some more 3d modeling. The models could be of anything we like of any genre so I decided that because I have played World of Warcraft in the past and it is a game I enjoy I decided to model one of the weapons in the game. The weapon i chose was Doomhammer which happens to be very nice model and has some nice detail in the model. The picture I chose to help: As you can tell the model looks quite difficult however a lot of the detail in the model can just be done with texturing the only part I could worry about or just not have on the model is the cloth above the hilt that sticks out but we shall see what happens when it comes to me texturing the model. My model so far: The shape of my model is looking very similar to what the original looks like and I am enjoying making the model as this is definitely developing my skills in 3ds max as well as texturing. I will be updating this post with every time the model is updated.