Skip to main content

Regulatory, Legal & Ethical issues in Games, Animation and VFX


Regulatory, Legal & Ethical Issues in Gaming


Regulatory

Ever since the beginning of video games, there has had to be restrictions on who can play what. These are now known as age restrictions. In the majority, these are well used and fair. However, there are problems. There are different policies all around the world depending on which country you live in, and difference policies for all states in the USA (The ESA).

Legal

Ratings of Games

PEGI 3+ games won’t have a violence descriptor but may contain “Tom and Jerry” slapstick violence if it is not considered disturbing.
PEGI 7+ games flagged with a violence descriptor may include “non-realistic violence towards fantasy characters” or “implied violence”.
PEGI 12+ will have the Violence descriptor to signpost “violence towards human like characters” but this must be non-realistic so that bodies don’t remain when killed. This may also include violent sports like boxing providing there is no blood.
PEGI 16+ games are flagged for “violence towards human characters” who react to being shot as they would in real life. This will often include blood and bodies will remain once they are dead.
PEGI 18+ games are flagged for including violence towards humans that may make you “wince” or your “stomach churn”. This includes gross depictions of heads, arms, and legs being removed by way of chain-saw or shotgun. It also includes sexual violence such as rape and mass killings of civilians.


Developers of games are definitely affected by legal issues. Lawsuits could set-back, or even bankrupt studios for as small as saying one wrong word.
Ethical


The main areas that ethical debates revolve around are:
Violence (Graphic, physical, sexual, non-physical)
Rating (how regulation is applied?)
Education(do games educate? Should they be relied upon?)
Stereotyping(Age,race,gender,disability,class)
Addiction(how do gamers become addicted? What does the industry do to help this?)


It becomes the responsibility of both the industry and the consumer to be aware of the issues in gaming and act accordingly.
Legal & Ethical Issues in Animation
Legal
Copyright and Ownership


Globally, copyright laws deal with a very basic yet important issue – who owns the idea, characters, shapes, objects, graphics.
Trademarks and Branding


Trademarks and branding are synonymous terms, as both refer to giving your business a unique name and ethos that stands you apart from your competitors in hte industry that your business belongs to.
Defamation and Causing Disrepute


When the reputation of an individual or an organisation is damaged – so much so that livelihoods are lost – then defamation has occurred.
Ethical
Intellectual property
Nondisclosure
Image content
Business ethics
Trust
Privacy
Truth
Data Protection


Privacy is a big thing in animation. For the members of staff involved in the film, and the high ranking businesses. Somebody has the role of keeping their personal lives safe and not to broadcast any of this information.

Regulatory Issues in Visual Effects
Regulatory
Unpaid overtime
Miscalssification of employees
Illegal usage of billing purposes
Non-existent transferable healthcare benefits and savings plans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sculpting a Character in Mudbox

So today I have been using Mudbox to sculpt a character. The character itself is a turtle with its shell on. So to start off I decided to work on his skin first and within this I was using two main tools the first being the imprint tool and the second being the smooth tool. I started off with a stamp that comes with Mudbox and I would just stamp the area I needed to give it a bumpy area on the skin. I would then smooth off the more harsh areas so it doesn't have any major jagged lines on it. After doing this for a while I started to notice that it was giving off quite a stone texture to the skin which I started to like after a while. However when it came to the feet I changed it up a little as I smoothed the toes a lot more than the other parts of the body which makes them stand out more and when it comes to texturing this guy I can add more detail to it by changing some of the colours around. Next I started on sculpting on the shell which I made look very unique as I made some v...

Model [Doomhammer Model]

So today we decided to do some more 3d modeling. The models could be of anything we like of any genre so I decided that because I have played World of Warcraft in the past and it is a game I enjoy I decided to model one of the weapons in the game. The weapon i chose was Doomhammer which happens to be very nice model and has some nice detail in the model. The picture I chose to help: As you can tell the model looks quite difficult however a lot of the detail in the model can just be done with texturing the only part I could worry about or just not have on the model is the cloth above the hilt that sticks out but we shall see what happens when it comes to me texturing the model. My model so far: The shape of my model is looking very similar to what the original looks like and I am enjoying making the model as this is definitely developing my skills in 3ds max as well as texturing. I will be updating this post with every time the model is updated.

Bump, Normal & Displacement Mapping

Bump Maps A Bump map is an older type of map that create fake detail by giving an illusion of depth on the surface of a model using a very simple lighting trick. You don't get any additional resolution added to a model as a result of bump mapping. Bump maps are typically greyscale images that are limited to 8-bits of colour information. This tells the 3D software whether it is up or down. Bump maps are great for creating tiny details on a model such as wrinkles on skin and because the detail they create is fake the silhouette of the geometry that the bump map is applied to will always be unaffected by the map. Normal Maps Normal maps can be referred to as a newer better type of bump map, as with bump maps what you need to know is that the detail they create is fake and there is no additional resolution added to the geometry. A normal map creates the illusion of depth detail on the surface like a bump map however it does it differently. A normal map uses RGB information that ...